Both of us always enjoyed watching the Neelys on TV. Gina is loaded with personality; and they’re from our home town. This is a recipe they say is “Kansas City” style. I don’t know about that. It’s a lot like what we’ve been making in west Tennessee for generations. See Bobbie’s Sauce and Tipton (County) Sauce.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (about 2/3 cup)small onion, finely diced
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup (2 (6-ounce) cans) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a small sauce pot on medium-high heat, heat the oil and add the onion, cooking until translucent.
Add the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and mix together. Add to sauce pan and let simmer for 30 to 45 minutes. Use to baste pork ribs, pork roast, chicken, etc. on the grill. Yields about 3 cup