Emeril’s Shrimp & Sausage Jambalaya
- 1 lb. smoked sausage, cut lengthwise in half, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 lb. shrimp
- 2 tablespoons yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup green bell peppers, chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 cups tomatoes (canned or fresh), peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup green onions (or scallions, green part only), chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
In a large Dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the onions, bell peppers and celery. Season with salt and cayenne. Cook, stirring until the vegetables are wilted, about 5 minutes.
Add the sausage and cook stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the bay leaves tomatoes, garlic, and shrimp and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, then add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes.
Stir in the green onions, remove the bay leaves, and serve hot.